Saturday, May 23, 2009

UEN reflection

UEN/Pioneer Reflection

I will use the UEN website for a variety of activities in the classroom. The UEN website is safe for my students and the information is plentiful. Between the UEN website and the Pioneer online library the students can find accurate and scholarly information for research papers and projects.
The Lesson plans found on the UEN site will help me as a teacher to build my curriculum for the various subjects I intend to teach. I plan to use the lesson plans as a jumping off point when preparing my lessons. I intend to explore the interactive with my students. Since learning about this website my children and I have already had a great time playing with some of the interactive, especially the map quizzes. I can see the potential in helping kids learn their historical, geographical facts in a fun way that they can understand.
The Core Curriculum was the section of the website I found the most useful to my overall preparations a teacher. I will be getting my endorsements in social studies and physical science, with these endorsements I will be qualified to teach subjects ranging from Physics to Sociology and of course History. The Core Curriculum feature on the UEN website will help me prepare the variety of lessons I will have to teach in a given year. For the first time I could see the lessons planned out and the direction good lessons should take.
The UEN website was a treasure box of information. As mentioned before I have spent too much time exploring the UEN website, when I should have been doing other homework. My kids and I have had fun looking at only a portion of the interactive. I am a very visual learner, for me a picture definitely says a thousand words. The following example is no exception:




As a History and Geography teacher maps are very important. Teacher used to be limited by financial restraints as to how many maps they have in their classroom as tools. Now with UEN teachers have more maps then they need at their fingertips. Having finished all my History classes here at UVU, I wonder if the professors know anything about these great tools, many are still using the wrong maps when teaching certain events. I have included a map showing the distribution of votes for the election of 1800.




I will teach my students about Pioneer online library over Google because I know the students will be able to conduct research more effectively and safely then on Google. The Pioneer online library is geared more towards scholastic research then the broad use of Google. My liability as a teacher is also a concern when allowing my students to research topics on Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment